In order to ensure the Police Authority acts appropriately and runs smoothly, a number of Lead Members are elected annually at the AGM, who have special responsibilities.
South Wales Police Authority is Chaired by Cardiff Independent Member, John Littlechild MBE JP.
Specific duties of the Chair include:
- Presiding over meetings of the Police Authority
- Representing the Police Authority to the media, public and outside bodies
- Participate in performance reviews for Chief Police Officers
- Represent South Wales Police Authority at local, regional and national meetings.
The Chair is supported by a Vice Chair. Ms Anne Abel, an Independent Member from Rhondda Cynon Taf, is currently the Vice-Chair of the Authority.
Each of the Groups of the Police Authority is Chaired by a Police Authority Member. This Member acts as the lead for that area of business, such as equality or audit.
They are responsible for acting as the spokesperson for that particular area of expertise.
The Group Chairs are as follows:
Secondary Group Chairs:
- Appeals Panel - Anne Abel
- Quality Assurance Panel - Graham Bingham
Other Lead Members
Other positions which hold a special responsibility within the Police Authority are the Chairs of the Independent Custody Visiting and Animal Welfare Panels, who represent the volunteers and their work. They are as follows:
East Panel – John Littlechild
West Panel – Arjan Ali
Animal Welfare – Joy Whinney